Not sure what file rails you need for your Herman Miller or Meridian cabinet? Not certain if the cabinet you need file bars for is even made by Herman Miller? Our helpful Herman Miller replacement file bar tutorial will help you figure out which hanging file rails you will need for your lateral Herman Miller or Meridian drawers. Whether you have a 30″, 36″, or 42″ cabinet from Herman Miller, we will help you get the correct bars for side to side filing for your file folders.
Please click below to purchase Herman Miller or Meridian hanging file bars on our website:
If you have any questions, please contact us at
This video is to help you to determine if the cabinet you need hanging file rails or file bars for is a Herman Miller Old Style or Meridian LATERAL cabinet and if you need the Old Style Herman Miller cabinet bars or Meridian File bars. Both of these cabinets are owned by Herman Miller. This video is brought to you by Office Replacement Parts Company and http://FileRail.com
Let’s start with diagnostics
1. is your cabinet Metal?
2. Is your cabinet wide and either 30″, 36″, or 42″ wide?
3. Does your cabinet say Herman Miller or Meridian on it?
4. If the cabinet has no name, does the code on the face of the lock have a UM or HM? UM and HM indicate that you have either a Herman Miller or Meridian cabinet.
5. Are you looking to file left to right aka side to side?
If you answered yes to these factors, then let’s move on to Old VS New Style lateral file bars portion. If you’re not sure who manufactured your cabinet, please contact us here: http://www.filerail.com/contact-us/
Just a side note…..if you’ve positively identified your cabinet as a Meridian or Herman Miller Old Style cabinet and you want to file your folders front to back so they face you, please purchase our front to back conversion bars on our website. Just select the Herman Miller File Bars category and select the 16″ or 18″ option.
Now let’s get back to lateral bars.
1. You want to file left to right when the drawer is open.
2. Look at the hooks of the Meridian and Herman Miller Old Style bars. The OLD bar has 1 single hook towards the bottom of the bar. The Meridian bar is much taller and has a tall hook to fit into the slit of that drawer wall.
3. You must then take a look at the slits on the left and right wall of your drawer. You can clearly see the Meridian cabinet has a very long slit, over 2″ high to accommodate the tall bar. If it’s a small slit, they you have Herman Miller Old style cabinets.
You can order by visiting http://filerail.com Just select the Herman Miller File Bars category, choose the style you need, and the size option is based on the OUTSIDE width of your cabinet. So you will choose 30″, 36″ or 42″. The actual bars will be shorter than those dimensions.
We hope you found this video useful, For more info on file bars and file rails please visit us at http://filerail.com. Have a great day!